Oxhey Bowls Club is the oldest bowls club in the Watford area. It was formed in 1910 for the workers employed by The Oxhey Grange, Watford Heath.
OBC was the forerunner of a number of bowls clubs that started up in the immediate area during the next four years. By 1914, there were 12 local bowls clubs which eventually formed the Watford & District Men’s Bowling Association.
The Club’s green originally only had three rinks and play was only possible in one direction. And the roots of poplar trees on the green made for an interesting game! The Club moved to a green nearby which was officially opened in August 1926.
The famous golfer, Ted Ray, who was the professional at Oxhey Golf Club, British Open Champion in 1912 and the American Open Champion in 1920, won several bowls competitions at Oxhey Bowls Club.
In 1933 Watford Borough Council took over the maintenance of the green from the executors of The Oxhey Grange. In August 1966 a full-size six-rink green was built on an adjacent part of the Oxhey Grange playing field. In the early 1980s, the Club doubled the size of its clubhouse and a further extension was opened in July 1990 by the Mayor of Watford.
In 2010 the Club celebrated its centenary, and a Centenary Cup Competition is played annually.